Sunday, May 18, 2014

Do you Homeschool?

Homeschool...
I am wondering who all reading this homeschool's? :) what made you decide to homeschool?

I never thought I would homeschool before having kids. I kind of thought I could do it as I am a dual-certified teacher (early childhood and elementary education). Growing up I never heard of homeschooling. I had never heard much about it or knew people who did until after we got married and started attending the church we do. There are a fair amount of homeschooling families there!

I am so happy God lead us to this type of schooling. Right now it is cyber school. Kid1 has done K4, K5, and 1st grade (this year) with a state cyber school. Though for 2nd grade next year we are more than likely going to be switching to traditional homeschool. Cyber school has been nice - it has helped me know that I can actually do this :) It has also showed us that this us the best way to educate Kid1 right now. He is thriving with school, learning so much so fast. He is like a little sponge just soaking it all up, especially with Science, which is his favorite subject.

Though I will admit I have had to alter some of my thinking - he has taught me that he can be paying attention even when making his pencil "explode" and when it looks like he is somewhere out in space. Granted there are times he isn't paying attention, so I check regularly. He is pretty much your typical fidgety 6.5 year old boy :)

Am I scared and nervous about probably switching to traditional homeschooling? Oh yeah! Part of who I am - a worrier. But I will admit I am very excited at the same time. All the homeschool laws for Pennsylvania make me quite nervous, but I am doing some reading and learning as much about it as I can.